This spring we will be celebrating the 6th Annual Amherst Middle School Invitational Tournament.
The following teams will be attending:
- Amherst Regional Middle School Intramural Teams (coed, grades 7 thru 8)
- Amherst Regional Middle School Travel Team (coed, grades 7 thru 8)
- Andover Middle School
- Eaglebrook School of Deerfield A Team (boys, grades 6 thru 9)
- Eaglebrook School of Deerfield B Team (boys, grades 6 thru 9)
- Greenfield Middle School (coed, grades 6 thru 8)
- Hilltown Charter School (coed, grades 6 thru 8)
- Hartsbrook School (coed, grades 6 thru 8)
If you want to come to the tournament, you must let us know by phone, mail, or email by April 18, 2003. You can mail in your $25 entry fee, or bring it on the day of the tournament. Checks should be made out to Jim Pistrang (not Amherst Middle School).
Things we need to know:
- Adult Contact name, phone number, mailing address, email address
- School name and/or team name
- Age range of players on team
- Number of players on team
- Coed or single-sex
- Do you want to stay over in Amherst on the Saturday night prior to the tournament
Tournament Frequently Asked Questions
When is the tournament?
The tournament will take place on Sunday, May 18, 2003.
Where is the tournament?
The tournament will take place on the playing fields of Amherst Regional High School.
Who is allowed to play in the tournament?
This is a tournament for Middle School teams. Teams with 9th graders are permitted, and both coed and single-sex teams are OK. Our preference is for single-school teams, but composite teams are accepted as well.
Who is in charge of this tournament?
The director of the Amherst Middle School Invitational is Jim Pistrang (coach, Amherst Regional Middle School). All decisions regarding eligibility, acceptance of bids, seeding, and rules will be made by Jim.
A staff of adult volunteers will help supervise the tournament.
How do you decide which bids to accept?
At this point, we will accept anyone who wants to come!
How much does it cost?
The entry fee for the tournament is $25 per team.
What do we get for our money?
We will provide water, a disc, and a Team Box for each team, containing fruit and bagels.
Can we stay overnight in Amherst?
If you are traveling from far away, we may be able to arrange housing on Saturday night at the home of an Amherst team member. We will need advance notice by April 18 if you need housing.
Do we need an adult chaperone?
Absolutely. You must have an adult chaperone if you want to play in the tournament, and the chaperone must be with your team for the entire time.
return to top of page
Tournament Format and Schedule
Tournament Format (subject to change)
The tournament will be played on five fields. In the morning (Games 1 and 2) the visiting teams will play against each other and against the Amherst Middle School Intramural teams. In the afternoon (Games 3 and 4) the visiting teams will play against each other and against the Amherst Middle School Travel Team.
Due to the time and field limits, there will not be a ‘championship game’ at the end of the tournament. There will be an SOTG award at the end of the tournament, based on voting by all teams.
Visiting teams will play three or four games. All efforts will be made to schedule games that are fair and competitive.
Each team will choose three players to participate in the Coaches vs All-Stars game at 1:00.
The tournament schedule is as follows:
Captains Meeting at 9:30 (all teams)
Game 1 start at 10:00 cap at 11:00
- Field 1 ARMS Yellow vs. Eaglebrook A
- Field 2 ARMS Blue vs. Andover
- Field 3 ARMS Green vs. Greenfield
- Field 4 ARMS Red vs. Hartsbrook
- Field 5 Eaglebrook B vs. Hilltown
Game 2 start at 11:30 cap at 12:30
- Field 1 ARMS Yellow vs. Hartsbrook
- Field 2 ARMS Blue vs. Greenfield
- Field 3 ARMS Green vs. Eaglebrook B
- Field 4 ARMS Red vs. Hilltown
- Field 5 Eaglebrook A vs. Andover
Coaches vs All-Stars 1:00 to 1:30 (Field 1)
Game 3 start at 1:45 cap at 2:45
- Field 1 ARMS Travel vs. Andover
- Field 2 Eaglebrook A vs. Hilltown
- Field 3 Eaglebrook B vs. Greenfield
- bye: Hartsbrook
Game 4 start at 3:15 cap at 4:15
- Field 1 ARMS Travel vs. Eaglebrook A
- Field 2 Hilltown vs. Andover
- Field 3 Hartsbrook vs. Greenfield
- bye: Eaglebrook B
4:30 SOTG Award
Games will be played to 13.
A 5 minute half-time will take place when the first team reaches 7 or 40 minutes after the scheduled Start Time, whichever comes first.
Game will be capped at two above the high score at the listed cap time (1 hour after the start time).
Each team is allowed one two-minute time out per half plus one floating time out.
Please keep set-up time between points to a minimum, since the games are short.